A Passage to India
"As the elephant moved toward the hills...a new quality occured, a spiritual silence which invaded more senses than the ear. Life went on as usual, but had no consequences, that is to say, sounds did not echo or thoughts develop. Everything seemed cutoff at it's root, and therefore infected with illusion."
"It was the last moment of light, and as he gazed a the Marabar Hills they seemed to move graciously like a queen, and their charm became the sky's. At the moment they vanished they were everywhere, the cool benediction of the night descended, the stars sparkled and the whole universe was a hill. Lovely, exquisite moment- but passing the Englishman with averted face and on swift wings."
India is on the top of my list of places to live before I die. I am so captivated by the spirituality that seems to pervade the people, architecture, arts and culture of the country. I am inspired by the rich colors and the warm feel of the pre-dusk glow in these pictures; I read A Passage to India this past summer and have since been drawn to the culture of colonial India.
Happy Monday :)
Quotations from A Passage to India by E.M. Forster.
Images from Anthropologie May Catalog.


1 Comments:
I totally agree! What a beautiful country. I can't wait till I have the opportunity to go.
Post a Comment
Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]
<< Home