01 April, 2010

Time

I spend way too much time on the computer. I spend more time than I would like watching TV. I also spend a significant amount of time eating. That's just the way it is; regardless of how much I try to fight it. I have come to grips with this fact after countless failed New Years Resolutions, Lent fasts and other attempts at a life more ascetic.
There exists in my head a world in which I do not watch any television, but read instead. I have an interesting, read, blog that I do not update excessively. I eat only when I'm hungry and do not have a sweet tooth. I exercise and go outside every day and I have enough free time to perfect my french and learn a new instrument. Sometimes I get so caught up in this make-believe world of mine that I completely lose sight of my real life.
Do you ever set unreal expectations for yourself that could by no means be realistically met?
I have come to grips with the fact that ^ this life, this fantasy does not exist. And it should not exist, because that is not the life that God laid out for me.
I am on the computer a large part of the day. I indulge and watch my favorite shows quite often (and yes I watch them when it's a beautiful day out, when I should be doing my homework, or when I could be doing numerous other things). I drive to school sometimes even when it's just two blocks away. And I eat spoonfuls of Nutella at a time, on a good day.
I have found so much grace in being honest about this. How lovely my fantasies have become left at just that, fantasies. They are not my life. It is great to have goals and aspirations; I firmly believe that we should constantly be trying to shape and prune our lives, but often times that does not leave room for joy, for spontaneity, and for life to happen at it's best.
The inspiration for this post came from an article by Anne Lamott in this month's Sunset magazine titled "Time Lost and Found." I cannot find the whole article online but here is a brief line from it that particularly struck me:

"What fills us is real, sweet, dopey, funny life."

I completely agree.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home