14 December, 2009

Bike speed

"Bike Speed" is the term I just made up and coined for the pace of life I would like to lead.
Quick background: I love biking. It is one of the many simple joys in life that truly makes me happy. This is ma bike:

"Turbo," I call it, you can imagine why.
I got my bike for my birthday this year, and it indeed it was the best present a girl could ask for. I had been looking for a road bike since February 2009 and when, 6 months later, I found this gem on Craigslist in San Luis I decided to make it a road trip and go up and get it. It was a very serendipitous moment, when Turbo and I first locked eyes...and I knew my life would be changed forever. It didn't hurt that the lovely boy selling it (Brandon, 5th year Graphic Design/Communications major at Cal Poly, tall dark and handsome...and probs married but that's a minor technicality)was probably my soul-mate. And the rest is history.

But back to "bike speed." Why I love biking: everything, all the sights, sounds, smells and interactions are magnified by the wind in your face and the numbness of your cheeks and hands. Everything is fleeting and thus everything is beautiful; there is no time to read into the pain of the leaves crunching beneath the tires or mourn the sight of the gray-orange clouds blanketing the setting sun. This ephemeral beauty dances in front of my eyes and across my heart, makes me catch my breath, and then I pedal faster and it's all gone.

I know this is not quite rational thinking, but I delight in the whatever satisfaction I get. There are substantial and long lasting things that I delight in as well, but in this moment I am happy.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home